Iowa Knights of Columbus
My Dear Brother Knight:
As State Deputy of the Iowa Knights of Columbus, it is my great honor to welcome you to the Knights of Columbus and the Experience of a Lifetime. You have taken a great step in your Catholic faith by joining us.
Part of our Christian calling says we should give of ourselves. All the good works we do are informed by our four core principles:
- Charity: Our Catholic faith teaches us to Love thy neighbor as thyself. Knights show love for their neighbors by conducting food drives and donating the food to local soup kitchens and food pantries, by volunteering at Special Olympics, and by supporting, both spiritually and materially, mothers who choose life for their babies. Knights recognize that our mission, and our faith in God, compels us to action. There is no better way to experience love and compassion than by helping those in need, a call we answer every day.
- Unity: None of us is as good as all of us. Knights know that together we can accomplish far more than any of us could individually. So we stick together…we support one another. That doesn’t mean that we always agree or that there is never a difference of opinion. It does mean that as a Knight of Columbus you can count on the support and encouragement of your Brother Knights as you work to make life better in your parish and community.
- Fraternity: The Venerable Michael J. McGivney founded the Knights of Columbus, in large part, to provide assistance to the widows and children left behind when the family breadwinner died, often prematurely. The Order’s top-rated insurance program continues to do this today, as do individual Knights, who last year gave more than 10 million hours of their time to assist sick and/or disabled members and their families. In the Knights of Columbus, we watch out for and take care of one another. Please take time soon to discuss your financial security with a Field Agent, who is also a Brother Knight.
- Patriotism: Knights are patriotic citizens. We are proud of our devotion to God and country, and believe in standing up for both. Whether it’s in public or private, the Knights remind the world that Catholics support their nation and are amongst the greatest citizens.
Further, every Brother Knight started just like you…with a desire to be a part of something larger then ourselves. You can make a difference in someone’s life by asking a gentleman to join you in this Experience of a Lifetime.
Finally, please know that members of my administration, including myself, are here to serve you and our fellow Iowa Brother Knights.
2011 Annual Survey of Fraternal Activities - Iowa
Charitable Giving $ 2,051,177
- Church Activities $ 669,550
- Community Activities 970,328
- Pro-Life Activities 152,938
- Youth Activities 258,361
- Amount Per Member $ 65,96
- Visits to the Sick 149,417
- Blood Donations 11,046
- Habitat for Humanity 3,150
- Volunteer Services 1,087,057 Hours
- Fraternal Services 127,923 Hours
Approximately 78% of all Knights of Columbus units responded to the 2011 Annual Servey of Fraternal Activity. The survey was sent to 72 jurisdictions, 14,277 local councils, 2,999 Fourth Degree assemblies and 1,593 Columbian Squires circles.
Iowa Council By-Laws, Position Statement & Resolutions